Wednesday, June 30, 2010

The Casual Player - A Guest Blog by The Samsaric Warrior

First off I would like to take a moment to thank Redhawks for giving me this opportunity to guest blog. With that said I would now like to talk on the subject of "The Casual Player". Now I know there seems to be mostly a love / hate relationship with casual players and I am sure there are others that couldn't care less. But playing for as long as some of us have we are bound to come across casual players and at that point most of us are going to pass some sort of judgment on them.



In defense of the CP (casual Player), I myself am one. A quick about me, I have been playing for almost 4 years now and have multiple 80's although my main focus has pretty much always been my paladin. Main or off tanking is what I prefer and I take my role and play my part well. I know my strengths and my weaknesses and I would never agree to tank something that I was not comfortable doing without making myself clear to all the group. Unfortunately that's not the case with a lot of CP's and I can see why a lot of raiders and raiding guilds don't want to associate with them. Let's face it, with the random dungeon system they have it isn't very hard to accumulate gear decent enough to get yourself into certain raids. But gear doesn't come with skill, and skill is acquired by practice and repetition. Something that a casual player is not going to have. Once again, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that CP's are bad by any means. What I am saying is that if your house is flooding with water are you going to call the local handyman or a plumber who has been in business for 20 years and knows the insides and outs of plumbing like the back of his hand and can react fast in emergency situations. A CP may know his toon well, very well even, but fast reactions come from constant play. Thinking under pressure, paying attention to all aspects of your surroundings and simply knowing the instances and raids inside and out are not the average attributes of a casual player. Can a CP run every raid? Absolutely. Can a CP do well in BG's and Arena? Absolutely. Can every casual player? No.
So Why? Because not all casual players know how to play the game. They don't understand attributes, they have poor gear selection, they don't use all their resources, they lack knowledge on raids and instances and are poorly prepared. The reason for this is Dedication. A casual player lacks the dedication it takes to be a progressive raider. They lack the dedication it takes to obtain and maintain a high Arena ranking. They lack the dedication it takes to understand all aspects of the game. The Economy, the crafting, the etiquette, the classes and how they work well with each other and which one you want there next to you to save your ass. Lacking dedication isn't a bad thing. I don't dedicate all my free time to the game because I also enjoy doing many other things. But I don't log on spamming to tank a raid I've never been in either. Some good friends of mine don't dedicate a lot of game time because of their work and family schedule, and you know what? That's completely fine too. The thing is though. We have grown to become casual players. There's a huge difference. Because there are many casual players out there that don't want to dedicate their time to learn these things because basically they just don't care. They just want to pay their monthly's and log on, chat with their friends and kill shit. They don't care about progression or rankings and probably have more vanity items than gold. Hey, I think it's kind of silly too, but it's their money not mine. Just don't group with one.

The thing is, you just have to know what type of gamer you are, and have the integrity to let other gamers aware of it when asked or invited into a group. I have no problem telling someone that I haven't downed the Lich King or even gotten close if asked or invited into a raid. If you are up front and honest then you will have a much more enjoyable gaming experience. Don't make yourself out to be something you are not and if you are unhappy at the realization of what type of gamer you are then change. As you dedicate your time and start progressively raiding and learning all the aspects of the game and all the classes and their roles, all the raids and boss fights, and the know-how to take full advantage of all your resources, you will start to understand why there is such a love / hate relationship for "The Casual Player".

Thanks for taking the time to read this.
Game On!

The Samsaric Warrior
www.samsaricwarrior.com

No comments: